Monday, March 27, 2006

Sabado fui a Mecca

Saturday I went down to Mecca, an entirely Mexican town situated in California less than an hour from here. This is the little town that I went to for El Dia de Guadelupe ( posted earlier ) as well as Good Friday, several quincineros ( a girl's fiftheenth birthday mass and party ), a Cesar Chavez march and an 80 baby baptism - 40 babies on a Saturday, 40 on a Sunday. This time I went for a mere forty baby baptismo.

I will post some photos as soon as blogger will let me. It seems to be having it's headache at the moment. I think one thing that happens may be something like a busy signal at certain times of day.
For now, I ask you imagine the church, one very large room with a strongly lit marble altar area, a center aisle, some small stained glass windows, overhead flourescent lighting and many,many wooden pews filled with caring and fretting parents and friends solely focused on the about to be baptised. It was hot, teeming and screaming, and absolutely wonderful.

I think some people are beginning to know me down there. Afterall I do look really different. Nevertheless the priest made an announcement about me before the service began assuring the congregation that I am "not immigration".

1 Comments:

Blogger joliejam said...

wow there is a concern, (immigration ) that i had not thought of .. imagine immigration officers at a baptismo

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web solutions : redtopia