Monday, July 17, 2006

A walk on the Wild Side





There is a beautiful trail in GTNP that takes you to two lakes, Bradley and Taggart. It is not a very difficult hike, only about 5 miles and practically every step of it is in breathtaking scenery by the two lakes and directly below the Grand. See second foto.
Our favorite destination is to a rock on the edge of Bradley where we ususlly have a picnic lunch.
After our picnic we were headed off to Taggert, bopping along a sunny trail, when I surpirsed and was surprised by a huge black bear who had been sleeping in the grass only about 3 feet off the trail. A close enough encounter. The bear jumped up. I calmly turned around to Tom who was behind me and said: Tom. Bear. Without running but definitely honoring the bear's space we got outta there.
The funny thing, while I never looked back, never took a picture ( you are not supposed to look a bear in the eye ), I realized that instead of my bearspray I had grabbed my little point and shoot.
Either on the way to the trail or on the way back we spotted this above moose, a little buck, a large red tail hawk and a doe running across a field with a very small fawn.
A beautiful day.

1 Comments:

Blogger joliejam said...

yikes. im so scared of bears. but those blue skies do look mighty fine

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web solutions : redtopia