Friday, April 03, 2009

SF IS...



......so many opportunities to learn.  
Because we were here in the city longer than we ever have been, we have had the opportunity to,  what I call, " make a life".  True there are the obvious plusses of San Francisco that we do not have out there on the prairie - the ballet, museums, theatre, great restaurants and the super Ferry Building Farmers Market.  And we most definitely have taken good advantage of those but "making a life" is, for me, having a stimulating daily routine and  learning something.

Above, then, are my teachers during these three months in San Francisco.

Marco, in the first image, opened the door to Italian for both t. and me.  He did this with astounding patience and philosophy and drawings that not only explained the content of the lesson but kept up laughing uproariously at every class.
On the board behind him you can just make out; sapere, volere, potere -  to know, to want, to be able.  Marco, the philosopher, paralleled  these to la vita, la liberta e la vicerca della felicita - life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  I'd say no ordinary beginners Italian and bravissimo for that.

The second image is of Steve Snelling.  This talented musician, speaking of patience, seems to have an endless supply of it.  I have been studying jazz piano with Steve and he has been diligently pounding me with theory for which, when I grasp the language, I am intensely grateful.  He is a super teacher, performer, composer and singer with a weekly gig at Sheba Jazz Lounge on Fillmore.  His site is www.dharmajazz.com

Tom, directly above, is one of the teachers at Aha Yoga, an outstanding  yoga studio down on Union Street. www.ahayoga.com  What can I say about Tom that isnt already in the image? Can you believe this pose?  And he was still as a rock! Tom is such a great teacher, such a fine person, such a yogi. 
 I have been going to Aha 3 times a week and even though the class is difficile and the next oldest person has to be 40 years my junior - easily - it has been the glue of "making a life". 

What a privilege to have these opportunities, to have the great teachers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web solutions : redtopia