Wednesday, March 29, 2006

This Man's Job

...is back breaking work. He is paid $8.oo an hour.

I was down in Thermal this morning taking pictures for Hidden Harvest. This is one of the 10 or so guys who were picking. Some of them just showed up looking for work. They started early and will pick all day. Because the crop is large most of them are assured of work tomorrow.

The wind was blowing so hard that my eyes watered the entire time I was there. I could see dust tornados on other farms. Fortunately, it wasn't hot but when grape season starts in May, when thousands of migrant laborers show up for that harvest, it will be. Picking in 120 degree heat is not unheard of.

Now tell me again why we want to send these people back to Mexico? Who, again, is it that wants this man's job?
I spoke with the grower. He told me even with undocumented workers, it is very hard to find labor. Mark from Prime Time had said the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web solutions : redtopia