Friday, May 05, 2006

Along The Mekong



This is where we had lunch along the Mekong. Many places in other parts of the world that look like this are wanna bes. This was the real thing- a one family operation in the middle of the Laotian highlands. Except for us, it was a sort of barefoot quiet place. There were some kids and dogs, a weaver weaving on her loom and a couple of tables with trinkets for sale out back. For me, it was a kind of pinch-me-am-I-really-here place.

As we ate our lunch - fish, rice, fried noodles with chicken and vegetables, friut, cokes- we watched men fishing below. The method of catching fish is typical of the area wherein one man forcefully slaps the water with a long pole and the other holds the net or basket the fish are chased into.

I get the feeling these waters have plenty of fish. I am surely romanticizing The Last Shangri- la aspect of Luang Prabang - waters full of fish etc.- but, I must say, in this setting, it was easy to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web solutions : redtopia