Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Bhutan - Arts - Art Training for Young People





Thirteen Traditional Arts is the name of the school where young people are taught the arts that are considered important to the traditional culture of Bhutan.  I visited the school at a time, one morning when a Minister was expected to arrive for a tour of the classrooms so I was unable to see many classes.  I did drop in on the carving class, a large group of boys -  tradition did not seem to include girls who carved.  The students, some industrious, some not so ( see above ) were waiting for their teacher to arrive.
I found the number of carving tools that a student had to work with astounding.
I also visited the weaving room - this time no boys.  The girls too were, as yet without a teacher - I think the instructors were busy with preparations for the dignitary's visit - but were, to a girl busy at their task.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web solutions : redtopia