Friday, April 07, 2006

TAMALES


What is in a tamale? First there is the tortilla, next comes a mix of meat and vegetables and finally a large scoop of lard. All of this is placed on the corn husk.

I have been researching a photo project for most of this week and one of my outings took me to a highly successful Mexican bakery. Watching the couple that run the bakery do their work was like watching a well rehearsed ballet. There was effortless efficieny as one scooped out and spread the meat, the other spooned on the lard. The cleaning up - as this was the end of the bakers day - was wordless and seamless.

After their work was done they invited me to their house where we chatted for a while about this and that. They do not speak English despite living here for over 15 years. As hospitable as they were and as interesting as the conversation was, I couldnt ignore the husband's yawns and soon learned that gets up at 2 am 6 days a week.
He told me that the most meaningful thing about living in this country is that he has the chance to work and earn enough money for his work to support his family. Over and over I am told that making a good living in Mexico is, for many, impossible.

I spoke with another very successful business man this week. He told me that he came over illegally as a young man with no education but intent upon making enough money to help his widowed mother who had 8 kids to fed and raise. When he came he was sleeping in garbage cans. He said: no one can achieve your goals but you, yourself. " I taught myself everything ... english, computers, whatever I needed." Now he has an important managerial position and large staff working for him. He has a daughter in college and says: I dont care if I refinance the house 4 times! I am so proud of her!

Jolie says that my blog is taking on a - I cant remember how she says it - a cause. The truth is I am deeply moved by lives that act on a dream. I know, I know that immigration reform is needed. It is needed for the immigrants as much as anyone else. I dont dispute that at all. But for myself, who grew up in this country where the even the sky turned out to be limitless, who, later in life, had the luxury of Joseph Campbell's imperative to " follow your bliss", for me ,who was told by a 13 yr old Mexican boy, my country is dream crushing, I find it very hard to ignore the bravery that it takes to migrate toward a dream.

So. Yeah. I do get a bit worked up!

1 Comments:

Blogger joliejam said...

you go mama !

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web solutions : redtopia