Monday, January 07, 2008

Bhutan - Arts - VAST



Kama, above, in his studio and in the doorway of the Art Shop Gallery, is the engine and heart of VAST.  He is also a well known, well respected artist in Bhutan.  I would like to tell you how broad his own out reach is but I am afraid that it is, indeed, too vast.

While I was there he was implementing  a full out attack on the garbage issue in Thimphu ( there is daily pick up but, much as the case in the US was when I was very young, the people are not yet educated about dealing with refuse).  Kama was, as well, instrumental in getting bags of rice from India and distributing them to the families, who because their own crops are seasonal, do not have enough to eat during the winter.

I was impressed with the social conscience of the VAST kids and have little doubt that a lot of the sense of responsibility for others and the environment originates with the values of the country itself.  Bhutan is a we not a me country.  That being said, I am equally impressed that these values are significantly enhanced by people like Kama.  

The group shot is in front of the prayer wheels in the main plaza of Thimphu.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web solutions : redtopia