Saturday, June 30, 2007

Bhutan and GNH


GNH is how Gross National Happiness is referred to in the kingdom of Bhutan and a picture book, or a series of picture books, for children about GNH is the assignment given to me by the Secretary of Education of that country.

You might imagine that the subject - the desire on the part of the king and his government that happiness of all Bhutanese be of foremost importance - could be elusive. Afterall, happiness is pretty subjective.


If you imagine thusly, you would be right and wrong. You would be right in that I had no idea when I first arrived in the country how I would find evidence of GNH. You would wrong,though, in thinking happiness to be elusive in a country that is neither hurried or harried.



Bhutan appears to be a gentle country with the tenets of Buddhism as it's foundation. Kindness and respect for others and the enviroment in which one lives appear to be rich soil for happiness.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ellis Blevins said...

I can't wait to see and hear more... I need to be less haurried & harried in my life.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Betty said...

Anne,
What an impressive project, one that speaks highly of your talents in that you have been asked to take on such a noteworthy undertaking. Your photography is excellent, capturing the character of people and place. One thing I am curious about. Do you know anything about the children's education? Best wishes, Betty

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web solutions : redtopia